Wednesday, February 22, 2006

on the topic of profanity



(artist rendition of jesus colliding with a coffeetable)


i like to swear. really. there is nothing that feels better when i've stubbed my toe or knocked my kneecap into the corner of the coffeetable than a resounding "FUCK!"
i usually mute my profanity when my daughter is around, but she knows what i'm saying and is smart enough kid not to repeat it at school.
her dad agreed to pay her $1 whenever he dropped the "f-bomb," and she asked me to do the same.
i stated that i simply could not afford it.

it's interesting that in this day and age, so much is made of profanity. not that i think polite society (whatever THAT is) ought to have us running around like lunatics, dropping the profane left and right. i don't think EVERY situation is appropriate for cussing. but do i think less of those who do cuss? nope. those are my people. we are cut from the same cloth, so to speak.

what is think is obscene? that we have a shitty health care system. that the rich keep getting rich and the poor have less and less. that our country is run by a blend of incompetence, ignorance, greed and corruption. that a person like me, who doesn't make a whole lot of money, is more apt to give a dollar to the homeless guy who is on the corner of 11th street in downtown every morning with a cardboard sign around his neck, than the fucker in the sparkling cadillac suv next to me.

you might ask, "what would jesus do?"

i remember that jesus was a MAN. jesus kept the company of HOOKERS. i think that, if jesus felt the pain of my coffeetable against his fragile kneecap, only one word would ease his pain. come on, say it... SAY IT!

No comments: