Wednesday, November 02, 2005

a fun wednesday game

so i've been reading online that today is the day to put your music-playing apparatus on "shuffle" and to respond with thoughts to the first five songs you hear. so i'm doing that.

Song #1:
E-Pro by Beck
--------------
a relatively new song for me, but it reminds me of the intro kicking my ass while i'm commuting to work and of seeing it performed just a few weeks ago. beck puts on one hell of a show.

Song #2:
Wish by NIN
------------
holy crap. broken was the first NIN cd i ever had, and i got it when i was in ninth grade at the tender age of 14 1/2. (halves mattered a lot in those days.) i heard the opening track of the cd, pinion, and then wish burst out like madness. i was horrified at first, really only having been exposed to the usual top 40 kind of crap. but within moments i had the first cathartic music experience that i can really remember. i felt an outlet for my anger that i couldn't handle, couldn't explain and couldn't deal with. a timeless, amazing song.

Song #3:
Mad World by Gary Jules
------------------------
Donnie Darko, Donnie Darko, Donnie Darko.

Song #4:
Johnny Feelgood by Liz Phair
------------------------------
freshman year of college, fall of 1993 at moorhead state university. my friend-turned-roommate heidi introduced me to liz and her cool delivery and dirty lyrics. she was the coolest good bad girl to me. and this song is the best to sing along to b/c liz isn't known for having the best, most prettiest voice in the world, which is why singing along feels so good -- kind of feel like i'm on par with her voice, and that makes me feel like a little bit of a rock star.

Song #5:
It Ain't Like That by Alice in Chains
---------------------------------------
easy: the scene in the movie "singles" where alice in chains is performing in the club where steve and linda first meet. the wah-wahing of jerry cantrell's guitar accompanying Layne Staley's amazing, rock-opera type vocals and vibrato...ahhh, i miss you, layne staley.

that was kind of cool to do. maybe i'll do more of it later.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I'll play:
1) Superbad, James Brown
This song is so much fun, I swiped it (kinda) for my website's motto. For some reason I got into James Brown while I was at the jail. Go figure.

2)Poughkeepsie, Over the Rhine
Originally my least favorite song on one of my favorite all-time albums. As I've gotten it's grown on me. "I take to the sky with all my might..."

3)I'm taking a mulligan on this one since I don't have a track name for it and realized that I really don't care much for this track. It's by Spiritualized, but that's all I know.

3b) Visions of Johanna, Bob Dylan
"Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're trying to be so quiet..." I think I got into this track due to a particularly narcisisstic phase with someone whose first name is similar to the titular character. As time went by, I just grew to love Dylan and his little twists of phrase and wry humor.

4)Pagan Poetry, Bjork
Why does every song by Bjork remind you of every other song by Bjork except it sounds almost completely different? This album really didn't have the impact as, say, "Post" or "Homogenic" did. Don't know why.

5) Almost done and I bump something and it starts at the beginning. Hold on...

New 5) Bitches Brew, Miles Davis (obtained by completely random means, I swear)
Extended soundtrack to one helluva an acid trip. How old is this and there are still only a handful of people with enough talent and balls to do stuff like this and not suck at it.

kari said...

and while we're talking in halves, i turn 30 1/2 on november 9. so there.