Tuesday, November 29, 2005

music time!

not quite tired enough, so it's time for the "shuffle music and explain details to people who may or may not be interested!"

1. If You Leave by OMD.
Pretty in Pink. i was one of the girls who wanted andy (molly ringwald) to end up with ducky (jon cryer) in the end.

2. Stupid Boy by the Geardaddies.
a classic. the best come-back-after-a-breakup song EVER.

3. Strange Loop by Liz Phair
when i first listened to "exile in guyville," i was hooked on the first five or six songs. then more recently i've fallen in love with that cd all over again, and this song was one of the lucky winners. it was as though all songs from number 12 and below were meant for a 19 year old me, and the songs past that were meant for the me who is now. the now me. get it?

4. Suck by NIN
trent could read from a phonebook and i'd go weak in the knees. but this song...YIKES. wow. it never gets old for me.

5. Superstar by Carpenters (but covered by Sonic Youth)
i grew up hearing this song by the original artists, but this cover by sonic youth is fab. it was also the song in the trailer for the movie "high tension," and the youth make it more stalker-esque than before. well done!

okay. sweet dreams for real this time.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

ducky doesn't seem gay to you? i thought he was focusing on andy because
1) she has a boy name
2) andy was unattainable and therefore he would never really have to come out until he graduated and moved to san fransisco where he could be among his own.

kari said...

that would make sense, as i always had a thing for men who were either openly gay or not out yet. is it the unattainability factor? probably, b/c that would ENSURE that i would be miserable.

but ducky was the best.

Andrew said...

it was as though all songs from number 12 and below were meant for a 19 year old me, and the songs past that were meant for the me who is now. the now me. get it?

Yeah, I do. And well put, too. Sometimes, when I revisit an album or a movie or other piece of media that I loved ten years ago, I either find all new meaning to it, or I find that I've outgrown it altogether.

Good post, as usual.