Sunday, November 27, 2005

a peek into my childhood

okay, so i've come across my diary that began on Jan. 19, 1986. here are the first few entries.

Dear Diary,
My name is Kari Larson. The boy I like is Andy. My age is 10. My birthday is May 9th, 1975. Well, tonight my parents bought you for me. I got to Campus Laboratory School, part of Minot State College. I have 2 parents. I have three sisters and 4 cats. My favorite show is "Miami Vice."
Goodnight, Kari.

Jan. 11, 1986
Dear Diary,
My tooth fell out! I am so glad! I am also mad! I went shopping today at both malls, I didn't buy anything! I am so glad that my sister Amy is going to take me to Kmart. They have really good brands now. Amy got one of her best shirts there. It is light pink wiht white leaves on it.
Goodnight, Kari

Jan. 12, 1986
Dear Diary,
Right now I'm watching this funny show on VHS. It's called "Scavenger Hunt." Yuck! Tomorrow I have school. But I also get to do my book report with Amy Lein. It's on Samuel Clemens, otherwise known as Mark Twain. Boy, do I want to see Andy, he is so cute! He also has a great sense of humor. Well, gotta go!
Goodnight, Kari

Jan. 15, 1986
Dear Diary,
Guess what! My little sister Meaghan peed all over my floor! Great, just great! Meggie also peed on some set drawings that Kimberly and I made. What will I tell her? Well, I'll just make new plans to show her on Saturday. Tomorrow I have to work on so many assignments at school. Tomorrow will probably be my busiest day ever! Except for my bday party, that is!
Goodnight, Kari


wow. how far i'm come in life. and for the record, my sister Meg can now control her bladder. (To be fair, she was only three at the time of that entry.)

5 comments:

Jege (Jen) said...

1986?!!!!
Sheeeeet, I'm old. I was in fucking 12th grade in 1986. I started mother-scratching college in the fall of 1986.
oh, the pain, the pain.

Andrew said...

Well, well. I wish I'd know how you felt about me when you were 10 and I was 12. ;-) (You knew I couldn't just let that pass without comment, right?)

And I laughed until I cried at "My sister can control her bladder now."

Nessa said...

My daughter was born in 1986. Talk about old.
Sounds like the concerns of most girls at that age.
Are you sure your sister can control her bladder or are her diapers on tighter now?

Nessa said...

And I just realized I graduated from high school the year you were born. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Ashley said...

I am just over a year and a half older than you, so I can relate to your diary - Miami Vice, mall shopping, and all!! Very amusing seeing it written from your 1986 perspective.