Friday, July 13, 2007

pop culture winnas!

i'm watching the VH-1 pop culture challenge show and i think i've figured out something -- people in my age group can name any, ANY 80s band, song, album, lyrics.. ANY. but if you put anything in front of us that is from anything in the time frame of Present-past few years, we have NO IDEA. at all. it's as though once the puberty passed and we no longer listened to Casey Casem's Top 40 countdown, we just stopped caring.

for example: i saw questions about album titles and i knew Nevermind, Appetite for Destruction, She's So Unusual and Pyromania (Nirvana, Guns N Roses, Cyndi Lauper and Def Leppard) but the one i didn't get.... an album from Outkast, and even now i don't recall the title.

so if the key to being a pop culture champion is to know about the crap that is out there now, i'm okay with relinquishing my crown.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Man, this is so true! I hear some of my younger co-workers talk about shows on Adult Swim, and I'm like, "Huh?" Or I listen to hip-hop radio, and I can't keep up with the names of new hip-hop artists. Worse, I don't know *why* they're popular. It's like my pop culture education ended sometime in 1999. (A year, by the way, in which we were promised we would "party like...")