Saturday, July 21, 2007

why does crappy behavior still surprise me?

so i scampered to the evil walmart today to pick up a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for my kiddo this morning. yes, i know they are very, very evil, but i also know that they were selling the books for only 17.88, whereas barnes and noble was charging closer to 25 and, in times like these, every dollar saved counts.

ANYHOW, i was looking for a parking spot and i paused to let some shoppers cross in the crosswalk in front of me, however the minivan coming toward me didn't see them right away --- they didn't come close to being hit or anything like that, but the shoppers leaving the store were LIVID. the angry, pasty-white woman gestured as if to say "hello?!? we're right here!" and the woman in her minivan with her kid looked apologetic, as if to say "i'm sorry, i didn't see you in my blind spot." the woman in the minivan drives off and THEN the husband of the pasty-white woman actually FLIPPED OFF the woman and her kids... i've not seen a display of such utter jackassery in a long, long time.

had i been the woman in the minivan i would have stopped the vehicle, put it in reverse and told my kid "close your eyes, sweetie... mommy needs to take care of something..."

i know i was at walmart and walmart isn't exactly the epitome of class, but even THERE, is it really too much to just be fucking civil? to NOT go out of your way to be a complete fucker?

maybe i was in one of my super-vigilant moods... but DUDE, he flipped off a mom and her kid.

sometimes i think it's good that i still give everyone (MOST everyone) the benefit of the doubt that they won't be douchebags. i like that i'm basically pretty trusting and hope that, if i treat someone with even a basic level of respect, they will do the same.

but that's what bites me in the ass, b/c people will be douchebags on a regular basis. they will treat people like crap. and i guess i never learn.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I hear what you're saying. I really do. But I just get the sense that behavior like this is just a symptom of something More going on in the world right now.

I get the sense that everyone is pushed past the breaking point, and we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop. In such a climate, a lack of decency doesn't surprise me one bit.

Sometimes, I think the whole world has gone a little insane.