Wednesday, April 12, 2006

moving is a dangerous business



not sure what caused me to bleed, but i looked down whilst tidying up the computer room and surprise! hand of blood!

and yes, i stopped to take a photo BEFORE tending to my wound. that's the way i roll.

this is the last room that really needs any work and it's gone by rather quickly. basically my philosophy is this: i sort NOTHING before i pack it. unless it's something that is obviously stained with pizza sauce or coffee, it goes in the box. why? because at a later time i will have time to sort through it. now? no time at all.

dustin did a few interesting acrobatic moves the other night. we were using the garden claw in the garden area of the back of our house. the garden area is three levels, retained by vertical logs. dustin was standing on the third tier of logs and lost his balance. he bounced (that's right, BOUNCED) onto the next lower tier, then again, BOUNCED onto the stairs next to the tiers, then totally nailed his landing onto the pavement below. it was AMAZING. here, let me illustrate.




i only WISH he could have seen what i saw. he's quite nimble, actually, because had i lost my balance, i would have been bleeding from the head.

and my hand has yet to clot. AWESOME. when i pick up kiddo today it will appear that i kicked some ass in a bar brawl.

i received a funny email link one day a while back and i forgot about it until now. it was a print out of an article from Housekeeping Monthly for May 13, 1955. Here are the highlights from The Good Wife's Guide:

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking of him and are concerned for his needs.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first -- remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

A good wife always knows her place.


i guess i better go put on that box of macaroni and cheese so dustin knows how much i think about him and care for his needs.

9 comments:

Nessa said...

kari: Tell the truth, you punched Dustin then knocked him down the stairs because you really care for his wants and needs.

btw - I follow that advice to the T, just ask my husband. But wait until he's done with the dishes.

Jege (Jen) said...

EEEK! Hand of blood!!

EEEK! Good wife's guide!!!

ungeziefer said...

Where's my goddam mac 'n cheese, woman!

Anonymous said...

I've seen this before, and I had to look it up. Snopes thinks this is probably a hoax.


I, on the other hand, think it's just practical advice for any newlywed wife.

Andrew said...

...and the problem with that advice is...?

I hope you and Dustin are doing okay! Who knew moving was so hazardous?

Anonymous said...

AAAHAH! Sorry to laugh, but your illustration made me pee a little. I hope your hand is doing okay.

Regarding the e-mail - hoax or not, it's a load of shit. I don't do any of those things. I've eaten cereal for dinner the past two nights AND! I just murdered an awesome plant/flower thing (see, I don't even know what it is) that Matt's mom gave us. I'm a Natural Born Killa and I need help.

Poppy said...

I'm sorry, it's mean to be new to your blog and do this, but THAT PHOTO IS SO HILARIOUS. Not the one of your hand busted open, because that made me woozy, but the one with the person falling down the stairs? Genius!

kari said...

poppe cede -- glad you stopped by, and hope to see you 'round these parts again!

MichelleMN said...

Hoax schmoax... it makes my back crawl! I mean, I totally get pissed even through I know I'm supposed to laugh at the ignorance. Aargh.

Good luck with the cleaning and selling. Of course I wish you could keep the darn thing, but having you back in the good ol Mpls will be grand. Abbey could nearly walk back and forth between residences, trombone strapped to her back of course! =)

I'll cross my fingers for no more injuries or near injuries in the next few weeks! Back to writing the damn thesis... Michelle